Wow, it’s been a spell since I’ve posted a new recipe. It’s probably a bit conceited of me to think you even noticed or care. Things have been nonstop crazy busy around here. My boyfriend and I drove back to Ohio a few weeks ago to gift my daughter Maria my car after I leased a new one. Why you ask?
She attends college and works two jobs and still is flat broke. Her car pooped the bed. My car was paid off and still in great shape and runs well, so I took one for the team and handed her over the keys. I believe my exact words at that exchange were…”This car was good to me…be good to her.” *sniff sniff. Seriously, who am I kidding!? It’s awesome sauce driving a new car. Smells and looks fresh!
It’s also football season and that means anytime there is a Miami Dolphins home game, we have my boyfriend’s brother and two dogs visiting for the weekend. They are seasoned professional tailgaters and don’t mess around. Our kitchen looks like a tornado went though it…or what I like to call “Hurricane Terry!” Those weekends are a whole nother level of crazy. Mostly, fun, but still crazy.
When you live in Florida, family members and friends usually like to start visiting this time of year until Summer begins again. They are in denial that summer is over and need to warm up their blood. For us, that means that we basically are running a bed and breakfast and turning around the spare room for a new visitor every few weeks. I know, (cue violins) Florida problems! Right?
Today is a quiet Saturday morning; however, and I’m enjoying the peacefulness of it all. So I thought I would get a recipe post up that I started and never finished a few weeks back. Wait fooor iiit….Baked Cashew Crusted Chicken. So simple, yet exquisite. It boasts a nutty crust that compliments the chicken so well. And with a hint of honey mustard mixed in with the egg mixture, it will have your tastes buds questioning what that extra special something is?
- 6 think skinless boneless chicken breasts rinsed and pat dry.
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 tsp finely ground sea salt
- ½ tsp black ground pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp organic honey
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 8 oz can cashews
- Preheat oven to 350
- Line baking sheet with tin foil and place a wire rack on top of cookie sheet. This will allow the chicken to bake to a golden crust on both sides.
- Place chicken breasts between two pieces of wax paper and pound with mallet. This step is optional. Especially, if you begin with thin breasts.
- Lightly sprinkle breast with a dusting of salt and pepper
- Process cashews until they are small pieces, but not a fine dust.
- In small deep bowl add flour and salt and pepper.
- In medium size deep bowl mix in cashews and panko bread crumbs. Set aside.
- In small bowl beat egg and add dijon mustard and honey. Mix well. Set aside.
- Coat chicken in flour.
- Next, dip in egg mixture.
- Coat in cashew and panko mixture.
- Place on wire rack and bake for 20-30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare your 3 separate bowls of ingredients as instructed above. Coat in flour, dip in egg mixture, and coat in cashew and panko break crumb mixture.
Place on raised wire rack on tin foil lined cookie sheet.
Bake for 20-30 minutes. Raising the chicken off the pan will allow for a nice evenly browned crust on both sides.
You can also serve this in strips with a side of honey mustard sauce. The flour and egg coating seal in the juices and keep your chicken nice and moist. This is definitely a winner winner chicken dinner. C’mon you knew I had to throw that cheesy line in!