I say this time and time again. After working an 8 hour day 5 days a week the last thing I feel like doing is spending the rest of the night in the kitchen cooking and cleaning up. Fuhhhhgettabouttit! This grilled chicken and bacon pasta carbonara is a cinch to prepare. Quick and delicious. You will think you are dining in Italy. Pure amore!
I don’t think I have ever tried a carbonara my entire life until I was watching The Food Network a few months ago and saw Chef Anne Burrell cooking up a pasta carbonara on “The Best Thing I Ever Made.” She made it look so good. I had just had to try it, being pasta is one of my absolute favorite dishes.
I tried her recipe with pancetta but found it too salty. I exchanged the pancetta for bacon. It took me a few times making it until I came up with my own perfectly adapted recipe. I get so excited to make this when I am craving pasta.
- ½ pound spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons olive oil ( + a few drops in boiling water for pasta)
- 6 strips of thick sliced bacon
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 thin boneless chicken breasts (marinate at least 6 to 8 hours in garlic & herb sauce)
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup fresh grated pecorino cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Crack eggs in large bowl and beat
- add a little salt and pepper to taste. Not too much salt, bacon and pasta also have salt.
- add heavy whipping cream
- add pecorino and parmesan cheese mix together with fork
- set aside until needed
- Heat olive oil on medium heat in large deep frying pan
- preheat grill for chicken
- cube bacon
- when oil is heated cook bacon until it is crispy. When done take off burner and set aside. I leave my burner on so when I place pan back on it heats right up
- while bacon is cooking grill chicken breasts a few minutes on both sides to get a nice char on both sides (you want it a little pink inside as you finish off in pan later)
- Once grilled place aside. When cools a little slice
- salt water add a few drops of olive oil and bring to boil
- add pasta to boiling water and cook al dente (about 6 minutes)
- while pasta is cooking add chicken to pan with bacon and place back on med heat
- strain pasta
- turn pan down between low and medium heat. (this is important as you don't want to scramble your eggs, but create a creamy sauce that is heated thoroughly)
- add strained pasta to pan and toss thoroughly with tongs
- pour over egg, cream, and cheese mixture. Toss until completely warmed through
- Serve immediately