This Honey Orange & Garlic chicken recipe is on my Top Ten favorite dinner rotations. Some recipes I can go several months in between making. Or I can completely walk away from a recipe after making only once. Life is too short to eat the same thing over and over. Don’t you agree? However, some recipes you just keep coming back to. And this is one of them.
The rub contains brown sugar. Brown sugar gives a great crusty char when grilling. I know what you’re thinking. That it is sub zero temperatures out there and your grill hasn’t seen the light of day since Fall. Just pull out a counter top grill if you have one, or a cast iron skillet grill will work too.
The rub also boasts a tickle-your-tongue-spicy flavor. The orange honey combined with the tanginess of the apple cider vinegar balances out the sweet and savory. The orange zest really brings out the flavor. It’s the right mix of zest and garlic. So delicious!
I promise you will keep coming back to this as part of your dinner repertoire. It also is a quick fix dinner recipe if you’re pressed for time. And goes great with a side salad. You can get the printable recipe at the end of the post.
SPICE RUB INGREDIENTS:
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup sweet or smoked paprika
3 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons kosher or sea salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons celery seed
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (* if preferred less spicy add 1/2 teaspoon)
Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir to blend together. Store the rub in an airtight jar away from heat or light. It will keep for at least 6 months.
Generously sprinkle spice rub on both sides of chicken breasts ( You can use any chicken or pork cut that you want.) Cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
ORANGE HONEY & GARLIC SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
3/4 cup organic orange honey
2 tablespoons orange zest
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon organic apple cider vinegar
Juice of 1/2 orange
Mix together all ingredients.
Grill chicken and brush on honey sauce the last few minutes of grilling. Reserve some sauce for dipping…or shall I say “soppin’ it up!”
- SPICE RUB INGREDIENTS:
- ¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup sweet or smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons kosher or sea salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ORANGE HONEY & GARLIC SAUCE:
- ¾ cup organic orange honey
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon organic apple cider vinegar
- Juice of ½ orange
- Mix together all ingredients.
- Combine all the ingredients for the spice rub in a mixing bowl and mix well to blend together. Store the rub in an airtight jar away from heat or light. It will keep for at least 6 months.
- Generously sprinkle rub on both sides of chicken. Cover and place in refrigerator for at least 15 minutes.
- Grill chicken and brush on honey sauce last few minutes of grilling. Reserve some sauce for dipping. *Double the sauce recipe if cooking more than 3 chicken breasts.