Sugar cookies are probably one of my favorite things to bake. I love to decorate them. I like to think of the cookie as a blank canvas and I am the arr-teest! It can be decorated anyway the heart desires. See what I did there?
Valentines Day is a great excuse to make these cookies. Plus, you don’t need to be in a relationship to enjoy them. You can make them all for yourself. < Gasp > Don’t be afraid to show yourself some love. After all, you deserve it.
Everyone has their favorite way to eat and decorate a sugar cookie. Some like them soft and some like them crisp. I like my sugar cookies thick and soft. Like a pillow. Some prefer buttercream and others prefers royal icing. No matter how you like your sugar cookie, you can’t go wrong with a cookie. Period.
Obviously, I like my cookies with lots of buttercream. Roses and rosettes are the perfect addition to these heart cookies. It’s like giving your loved one (or yourself) an edible bouquet. They might almost be too pretty to eat. Just kidding.
This recipe was given to me many years ago by a fellow nurse coworker back in my Labor and Delivery Days. She was kind enough to share it with me and I’ve been using it ever since as my only go to sugar cookie recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
- Sugar Cookies
- 1 stick salted butter slightly cool
- 1 cup sugar.
- Cream butter and sugar in stand mixer.
- Add 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Mix w paddle attachment as above. Switch over to hook attachment.
- Add ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder and
- 2 cups flour.
- Mix and then gradually add ½ cup flour more.
- Dough should be firm but not too stick and should come together in a ball
- Wrap in plastic or ziplock bag and refrigerate
- Chill dough overnight or at least two hours.
- Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup slightly cool butter
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- 1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Gel or liquid food coloring
- Preheat oven to 330 degrees
- Lightly flour your work space and roll out dough to desired thickness.
- Cut out cookies with your favorite heart cookie cutter
- Bake at 330 degrees for 6 to 8 minutes or until bottoms lightly brown.
- Cool cookies on wire rack.
- Decorate/frost when completely cool.
- Store decorated cookies in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
- Butter Cream Instructions:
- Whip butter in stand mixer with paddle attachment.
- Add 2 cups confectioners sugar
- Vanilla extract and 2 tablespoons whipping cream. Mix til well blended.
- Add remaining 2 cups confectioners sugar and last tablespoon whipping cream. Whip well.
- Divide and color. If icing thins out add more sugar. I use color gel/paste from Wilton.
Happy Valentine’s Day!